Salopian Terminology

 

Alington Hall

Our main school hall, named after the Revd Cyril Alington, Headmaster 1908-1916. Known to many Old Salopians as the Alleybin.

Ashton Theatre

Our theatre, named after Thomas Ashton, Headmaster 1561-71. One of his chief interests was drama and the production of plays was part of the curriculum - even arousing the interest of Queen Elizabeth I, although she never came to Shrewbury.

Benjy

An historic timed 1.5-mile cross-country running route around the School Site, usually undertaken on a Monday afternoon. Named after Benjamin Kennedy, Headmaster 1836-66.

Blue Book

Published at the start of each academic year and given to every pupil and member of staff, the Blue Book is a directory of information about the School. It includes staff lists, contact details and responsibilities; lists of school officers and captains of societies; school rules and policies; and much more. It has a blue cover. It is known to many Old Salopians as 'the Brown Book', because it used to have a brown cover.

Bottom Common   

The grass pitches between Mary Sidney Hall/The Grove and Severn Hill/Stott Pavilion

Bumps/Bumpers   

Inter-House rowing races held in the final week of the Summer Term

Callover

Registration. At the end of Speech Day on the last day of the Summer Term, a Whole School Callover takes place, when all the pupils process in single file past the Headmaster in front of the Main School Building 

Dix

Registration and notices in House

Fasti

The School calendar of events, published each term

Fives

A ball game played in Fives courts. We play Eton Fives as opposed to Rugby Fives or Winchester Fives

Floreat Salopia!

May Shrewsbury School flourish! 

Grot

Sweets - available to buy in the 'Grot Shop' (the School Shop)

The Hunt

Royal Shrewsbury School Hunt (RSSH), our cross-country running club and the oldest cross-country club in the world, founded in the early 1830s.

MSB

The Main School Building. Originally the Foundling Hospital for the town, opened in 1763. In 1784 it became a workhouse, known as the House of Industry. It was bought by Shrewsbury School in 1878 and architectural embellishments were later added, including the clock turret. The School moved to the Kingsland site in 1882.

Moss Gates

The blue gates at the main entrance to the School on Aston Road, named after Revd Henry Moss, Headmaster 1866-1908, who suggested and led the removal of the School to its present site. They were opened by his widow in 1923.

Oliver's Egg

The egg-shaped pond in the Moser Quad. It commemorates E. Oliver, who combined the roles of caretaker and groundsman, including the care of the school horse, between 1832 and 1932. In this area he had at one time created an egg-shaped lawn, always known as Oliver's Egg.

Pentagon

Not the HQ of the US Department of Defense, but the pentagon-shaped meeting room next door to the Headmaster's Office. 

Philomathes and Polymathes

Stone figures on the front wall of the Moser Library. They are copies of the originals which still stand on the Old Schools in the town. 'Philomathes' represents the new boy coming to the School seeking learning and 'Polymathes' is the boy leaving the School filled with knowledge. The Greek inscription translates as 'If you are a lover of learning you will be a learned man".

Praepostor

School prefect. (Often abbreviated to 'Postor)

 Quod

The Sixth Form Centre, originally the School swimming pool

 RSSBC

The Royal Shrewsbury School Boat Club, founded in 1836

 RSSH

The Royal Shrewsbury School Hunt (see 'The Hunt' above)

 Salopian

Technically someone from the county of Salop (Shropshire), also referring to a member of the Shrewsbury School community. Also the name of the School magazine

The San

(The Sanatorium) - our Medical Centre

Sidney Oak

Grown from a seedling from the Sidney oak at Penshurst Place and planted in front of the Main School Building to commemorate the Fourth Centenary of the birth of Sir Philip Sidney on 30th November 1954.

School Wall

The wall running between School House and Rigg's. It was brought up, stone by stone, from the Old Schools (now the town library) and situated along the then boundary of the School Site, running through the present Biology Building in the direction fo the river. It was moved to its present position in 1932 and an additional stone was laid by the visiting Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII). On the School Wall are carved the names of boys who distinguishd themselves in sport. 

 Top Schools

Homework/Prep and the time allocated on a weekday evening in House to do this work. Named after the room at the top of the original school building (now the town's main library) where pupils used to do their prep.

 The Tucks

The 3.5-mile whole school cross-country run around Farmer Tucks' fields in the Meole Brace area of Shrewsbury, usually held on the last day before the Michaelmas half-term. It is believed to be the oldest cross-country running race in the world, dating back to the early 1830s.