Notices to Parents and Guardians
Change of date for the start of Michaelmas Term 2020
In order to facilitate some changes to our staff INSET training programme, we have made a change to the start of Michaelmas Term 2020. School will now start on Sunday 6th September, not Saturday 5th September.
- All Lower Sixth (Boarders and Day Pupils) will attend a Sixth Form induction event on Sunday 6th September from 2.00pm - 5.30pm. (Arrival time in Houses for returning pupils is 1.30pm; arrival time in Houses for New Sixth Form Entrants is 12.00pm)
- Boarders from all other year groups (Fourth, Fifth and Upper Sixth) are invited to arrive at school on Sunday 6th September between 1.30pm and 7.00pm.
- There is no change for Day Pupils in the Fourth, Fifth and Upper Sixth Forms, who are expected back at school at 8.00am on Monday 7th September.
- For those of you with children joining us as New Entrants in the Third or Fourth Forms (Day and Boarding), they will be asked to arrive at 4.00pm on Sunday 6th September.
Housemasters and Housemistresses are happy to answer any questions you might have regarding timings.
A Feast of Shrewsbury School Music this term - and possibly at a venue near you
As ever, there is a packed programme of concerts to look forward to over the next few weeks – and this term, in addition to many exciting concerts at the School, our talented musicians will also be performing in Tewkesbury Abbey, the Elgar Concert Hall in Birmingham and in Emmanuel Church Didsbury, near Manchester. We do hope that as many of you as possible will be able to join us and enjoy the sound of Shrewsbury School Music at its finest in some glorious buildings. And please do extend a warm invitation to any family and friends you may have living in the Tewkesbury, Birmingham or Manchester areas to come and join us too.
• On Saturday 18th January at 11.00am, Shrewsbury School Music Scholars will be returning to Emmanuel Church, Didsbury for the 11th successive year to perform a lovely programme of solo and ensemble items. This is part of the church's popular series of Saturday morning 'Coffee Concerts'.
• On Wednesday 22nd January at 5.30pm, the Chapel Choir will be singing Evensong in Tewkesbury Abbey, which will be followed by a Drinks Reception for all members of the congregation. Further details are included under 'Forthcoming Events' below. Please email Kate Evason firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
• On Sunday 8th March at 6.30pm, the School Symphony and Wind Orchestras will be performing in the splendid setting of the Elgar Concert Hall in the Bramall Music Centre, which is part of the University of Birmingham. Tickets are available now via www.ticketsource.co.uk/shrewsburyschool.
Parents and friends of Shrewsbury School are also warmly invited to join the Salopian Club next Wednesday 15th January, at a Celebration of Epiphany at St Mary-le-Bow Church in London. The service will include Epiphany music and readings and will be led by former Shrewsbury School Chaplain, Revd Gavin Williams. The choir will be made up of many Old Salopians who have gone on to make their careers in music and the standard promises to be very high indeed. The service will also include the first performance of a new piece specially commissioned by the Salopian Club and composed by Richard Eteson (G 1989-93).
Full details of all these events, including ticketing information, are included under ‘Forthcoming Events’ below.
Shrewsbury School Parents' Association Burns Night Supper, Friday 24th January
Following the huge success of last year's inaugural event, the SSPA warmly invite all parents, Old Salopians, staff and friends to join them for this year's Burns Night Supper. It is being held in the ballroom of the Lion Hotel in Shrewsbury and will include a glass of ‘bubbly’ on arrival a sumptuous four-course dinner of traditional Highland Fare, followed by a ceilidh band for those who wish to do some Scottish reeling.
There are still a few tickets remaining - price £48.00 each. Please book them as soon as possible from Dawn Dunn at email@example.com.
Overnight accommodation is also available at the Lion Hotel at a special rate. Please see 'Forthcoming Events' below for more details.
Tickets are on sale NOW for the Shrewsbury School Parents' Association 'Once in a Blue Moon' Ball
Tickets are on sale now for the SSPA's most prestigious and keenly anticipated event of the year. The Once in a Blue Moon Ball is on Friday 27th March, and the Alington Hall will be transformed into a glittering moonlit night for the occasion.
Tickets are £70 per head and we encourage Houses to make up tables of 12. But don't worry if you are a singleton or a couple – you will be teamed up with a great group for the evening.
Please start getting your tables together and tickets booked as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Please email Dawn Dunn at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your tickets.