My name is Dr Kathryn Broadhouse and I am the new STEM Fellow for Mathematics and Science at Shrewsbury School.
For the first part of this year, I have had the pleasure of working closely with the maths department and we thought it high time we let everyone know the wonderful work both staff and students are getting up to in the maths world at Shrewsbury.
Image above created by 4th Form pupils Archie, Charlie and Jasper.
This edition includes:
- The latest student maths projects being carried out in the department – 4th form have been tackling some of the world’s biggest problems with mathematical modelling.
- The latest maths articles aimed at young people.
- Up and coming maths competitions at Shrewsbury and across the UK and how to get involved.
- The latest free online maths lectures.
- The latest research in mathematical mindset and how this impacts classroom performance.
- This edition’s pick of undergraduate university maths courses, why study maths and what makes this course stand out for us.
- Cross-curriculum fun with art and maths mashups from around the world – this time we look at how crochet was used to visualise hyperbolic planes and how this went on to highlight mass coral bleaching with global warming in an art installation that travelled the globe.
Being our first edition, we had a lot to get through, moving forward the overall format will look very different so watch this space! I hope you enjoy this half term’s edition.