This new event in 2010 proved a great success, so this year RSSBC Top squad and J15 groups made the trip to the Great Ouse to compete in Bedford small boats Head.
At just 2000 metres in length, this Head race (time trial) is a good opener for the season, and great preparation for the longer distances later this term and into 2012. Certainly most of the boys competing would not have practiced in these coxed 4 line ups, so it was interesting to see which crews performed on the day.
As it worked out, we had the perfect set of results: 6 events entered and 6 events won!! We were not at the presentation ceremony after racing but there must have been a few comments about the amount of pots were going up the M1 to Shrewsbury!
- IM1 winners and fastest crew of the day were Tom Marshall, Rupert Chitty, Harry Lonergan and Sam Lapage, 3 returners from last year’s 1st 8, plus Harry Lonergan, our L6 Cassidy Scholar, coxed by Sophie walker, the time of 6.18 was rapid, by any standards.
- Winners of IM2 was also with Tom and Rupert, but this time accompanied by Max Kimpton-Smith and Rob Morgan, again both returners from last year. They were coxed by Rupert Langford, this boat was placed 2nd overall.
- Winners of the junior event were Max, Harry, Fred Day and J16 high performer Will Angell-James, this time coxed by Jamie Rees.
- IM3 winners were Will Dodson-Wells, Peter Gadsden, James Laichley and James Kynaston, with Rupert Langford in the coxing seat.
- Final winners from top squad were the novice 4 crew of Ed Chapman, Rob Homden, Tom Lloyd and Charlie Lane-Fox, with Jamie Rees as steersman.
- The J15 group had a great day too and won their category in emphatic fashion, their winning combination of Peter Hammond,Toby Thomas, Jacob Rumble and Aue Angpanitcharoen, ably coxed by Ed Carroll, romped to victory. Congratulations to them and new J15 Head Coach Matthew Mostyn on his first victory on his return to the river!!
A really great day, that is now behind us, sights are now set for Agecroft Head on Saturday.