Shrewsbury School

A Week in the Life of Henry Clay (3 Rt)

Thursday 19 May 2011

Henry Clay on the Ridgemount lawn, after the Confirmation ServiceMonday: First day of a new week, with a spelling test in English first period – great start!  Had my first of 5 tiring tennis sessions this week, in the afternoon with Mr Harding where we worked a lot on our footwork.  Sadly though, the weather was not quite as nice as the weather on tennis tour in Majorca at Easter, which was great fun and got my friends and me into great practice for the term.  We spent 6 days training and working on all aspects of our game and then put it into a competitive situation – it was a great experience and helped my tennis enormously.  I also made some good friends from other houses.

Tuesday: Ridgemount had our second A leagues cricket match of the term and the rain held off luckily until after the match. We had a good win against Radbrook, and I bowled and batted but sadly took no wickets!   It is great to have the opportunity to keep playing cricket for the House amongst all my tennis commitments.  Our Housemaster was pleased as we still are an unbeaten side in the competition.  Top Schools in the evening was spent completing my geography essay, followed by some cage cricket and then bed.

Wednesday: Another tiring day as I had a tennis match against Magdalene College, Oxford. It was a long drive away, but worth it to be able to play on the grass courts they have there, which was great experience. We won the match, but had some hard battles and I was pleased with my overall game.  We had a nice cooked meal before the journey back and some sleep and iPod on the coach.

Thursday: We had a tennis match against Packwood, which we also won, but may have been down to our extra size and power, as they were all good players.  I served and volleyed well and so did my partner Tom Robinson. However, much of the remainder of my day was taken up by doing the Quinn History prize.  This is 1500 word 3rd form essay prize, where we have to interview relatives and family about a historical event that they have lived through or witnessed.  I wrote about my father’s tour of duty in Northern Ireland, which I found fascinating, but it also made me proud at the same time.

Friday: A surprisingly good day, despite the fact it was Friday the 13th. Chapel in the morning, my last one before my confirmation service. I had a my second guitar lesson of the term and I am learning a Guns n Roses piece, which I hope I will be able to play for the house at the “Ridgemount Battle of Guitars” at the end of term!  More tennis practice in the afternoon before Saturday’s fixture.
Saturday: Had a practice confirmation service in lessons one and two. In the afternoon had my third and final tennis match of the week against Oundle. We won two out of three matches, so sadly did not get a fully unbeaten week!  Pizza and DVDs in the house in the evening before a reasonably early night before the big Confirmation Day.

Sunday: The day of my confirmation, my Godparents and Grandparents came up to school and it was great to see them all and I was proud to show off my house and some of my friends to them.  The chapel was nearly full and it was a great service led by Reverend Dobbie and the Bishop of Shrewsbury amidst downpours of rain outside.  It was a scary feeling going up to the altar alone with just my confirmation partner and I imagined that’s what it’s like to be a celebrity, all eyes on you! We went out to a delicious lunch afterwards and I got back to school around 5 o’clock, to the gossip that my Housemaster and his wife had helped capture a thief who was running across the school site!
Overall, a very full and tiring week, full of cricket, confirmation, tennis, music, more tennis, as well as the classic house camaraderie! I never thought there would be time in a week to have so many opportunities!

back to top