Shrewsbury School has had a tradition, since its founding Charter in 1552, of making generous Scholarship awards. Scholarships fall into various categories - Academic, Music, Art, Drama, Sporting and All-Rounder. Awards are made either to pupils under the age of 14 who join the school in the Third Form, or to those entering the school at Sixth Form level.
House Foundation Awards
Shrewsbury has also pioneered 10 new Awards, funded by the Shrewsbury School Foundation through the generosity of hundreds of Old Boys of the school. These House Foundation Awards are designed to provide financial support, of up to 50% of fees for talented pupils under 14 years of age, whose parents would otherwise be unable to afford the full fees. Candidates will be expected to make an exceptional contribution to their house and school, whether in sport, music, art, drama or leadership, and will also need to be predicted a comfortable pass in Common Entrance.
Scholarships for Candidates Under 14
Please also see our Third Form scholarships page.
For candidates under 14 years of age, asessments take place during the twelve months prior to entry: Sports and All-Rounder assessments are in October, Music in January, Art and Drama in March, and Academic in May.
- 4 Butler Scholarships (up to 30% of fees)
- 6 Kennedy and Moss Scholarships (up to 20% of fees)
- 7 Alington Scholarships (at least £2,000 per year).
- 10 House Foundation Awards (up to 50% of fees)
- 4 Music Scholarships (up to 30% of fees)
- 2 Art Scholarships (up to 20% of fees)
- 2 Drama Scholarships (up to 20% of fees)
- 2 Sports Scholarships (up to 20% of fees)
- 2 All-Rounder Scholarships (up to 20% of fees).
Please also see our scholarships information on the Sixth Form applications page.
- 8 Academic Scholarships
- 6 Specialist Awards
- 1 Sir Martin Rees Scholarship for excellence in Physics (up to 100% fees, subject to means testing)
- 1 Margaret Cassidy Sports Scholarship (up to 100% fees, subject to means testing)
- 1 Alex Wilson Dayboy Scholarship for sporting and academic excellence (up to 100% day fees, subject to means testing).
Any Scholarship may be increased in value in cases of need, at the discretion of the Governors. Entry forms are available from the Admissions Office (telephone 01743 280552 or email email@example.com), or they can be found under the Application Procedure website pages for the Third Form and Sixth Form.