Assisting with University Access and Careers
We are keen to share our dedicated support for students in terms of raising and supporting aspirations for university access and careers more widely across the county.
Much of our higher education and careers provision has been made available to local schools so that more young people can explore pathways for further education and for the world of work beyond. Our Head of Futures, Chris Wain, has also supported the planning for university access and careers provision in a number of schools locally, with some closely collaborative projects currently under development, and he is active in the Shropshire Careers Leaders group which meets termly to share best practice.
To support the young people accessing university and help raise aspirations we have:
- Provided local schools with access to our Futures (Careers) Faculty programme including Careers Talks, Gap Year Fair, Apprenticeships, and our Higher Education Fair
- Linked with William Brookes School to support and provide advice regarding their Sixth Form Careers offering
- Developed a Year 10 Careers Project with the Marches Academy Trust as part of the successful DFE Systems Partnership bid
- Supported the Oxbridge preparation for local school students
- Shared Zoom careers talks / seminars with local state schools
- Registered Shrewsbury School as a SAT centre
Benefits and Impact
This area of work directly benefits local young people to improve their aspirations of higher education and future careers.
Shrewsbury School staff and careers colleagues across Shropshire benefit from improved networking and a reciprocal development of Oxbridge support.
- MAT partnership will open the possibility of further work placement options, for targeted students and our own Year 10 provision at school should be enhanced
Illustrating the impact of our work raising aspirations and supporting careers work:
"Please pass on my thanks to all the staff that were involved with carrying out mock interviews at the school. Students really appreciated the opportunity and the feedback they received..."
"Shrewsbury Academy are extremely grateful for the help and support provided by Ian Payne at Shrewsbury School. Ian has provided additional maths sessions after school, supporting students from Shrewsbury Academy two evenings every week from September until lockdown.
The students have benefitted greatly from these opportunities which have broadened their horizons and extended their knowledge. The personal efforts that Ian has provided to the school has been greatly appreciated and valued by all of the staff and students at the Academy and we are grateful for all of the support that Shrewsbury School has provided through this project. We look forward to Shrewsbury School’s continuing support in the next academic year."
Pauline Roberts, Strategic Lead for Maths across the Marches Trust
Working with key partner organisations to raise aspirations of young people across Shropshire we will continue to:
- Work with Marches Academy Trust to develop a sustainable Year 10 project
- Host Careers / Futures meetings at Shrewsbury to identify and to share best practice for all schools
- Support the development of medical applications in the region Share digital careers guidance clips / live Zoom events
- Look to disseminate the provision of the Level 2 Award for Young Leaders with local partners