Welcome to the latest eNewsletter
An Introduction from Headmaster, Leo Winkley
Celebrating the effort, endeavour and enterprise of Salopians - Please follow this link for details of this week's Floreat. Below is an image from this week's Floreat.
Launch of Sponsored Walk
As a whole school community, along with our friends from Everton, we are very much looking forward to the Whole School Sponsored Walk in aid of The Shewsy on the 23rd September 2021.
Every five years or so over the past 50 years and more, we have put down our books and gone out to enjoy some of the beautiful local scenery undertaking the challenge of a long-distance walk – all to show our collective support for The Shewsy and, most importantly of all, to raise much needed funds. All monies raised will help to ensure that The Shewsy can maintain and enhance its youth work programmes. This comes at a time when there is greater demand than ever, with record numbers attending both junior and senior clubs, and increasingly specialist support required to meet the needs of the members.
Over their educational journey through Shrewsbury School, all students and staff will get to know a good deal about The Shewsy and its work – details of which can be found here https://www.shrewsbury.org.uk/page/shewsy-shrewsbury-house-everton
Our partnership goes all the way back to 1903, when teachers from the school founded the club. Today our relationship is stronger than ever and we are committed to supporting The Shewsy, as in turn it supports its community which has one of the highest levels of child poverty in the UK.
With our collective fundraising endeavour, we can help to ensure that The Shewsy thrives as an open-access, full-time centre running a range of programmes and activities. We can assist the excellent staff team to draw out the talent and potential of all the young people who attend the club, so that each and every one will discover a positive purpose and direction for their life.
As in 2016, we hope to raise a significant total amount that will have impact over a number of years. To get there, every participant of the walk is encouraged to achieve a personal target of £80 to £100 in sponsorship. We hope that this is less daunting than it might first appear – we all have the summer to find sponsorship from friends and family, mindful that many relatively small contributions will soon add up!
Monies can be donated via house fundraising pages (via Virgin Money Giving) and/or good old-fashioned collection of cash and cheques made payable to ‘Shrewsbury House’ which should be collected in houses.
STOP PRESS - Girls’ Cricket Team are through to Finals Day
Many congratulations to the 1st XI Girls team, who ticked off another finals day yesterday by beating Repton in the National Cup QF by 6 wickets.
After a wobbly performance with the ball and in the field, the girls composed themselves to produce a very mature batting performance, led by captain Harriet S (EDH, LVI) who saw the game out with 47 not out.
The Girls will first compete in the 100 ball finals day on Wednesday 30th June at Shrewsbury School, before heading to Abingdon School, Oxford on Tuesday 6th July for the T20 Finals Day.
Chapel Podcast- Sunday 27th June 2021
Notices to Parents
Details on events for the final week of term- including information on the final day of term- will be communicated to parents through a separate mailing shortly. Some headline information:
- The musical Fame! has now sold out; for those with tickets information will be sent out via Ticketsource in advance of the event. Attendees are requested to arrive at the Barnes Theatre at 7.10pm to be seated by 7.20pm;
- The Friday evening Cabaret Concert is a ticketed event with a reduced capacity in the marquee. Attendees will be requested to enter the venue through one of four entryways (designated by surname groupings). Seating is distanced and the facility will be appropriately ventilated alongside other control measures and mitigations. Further information will be sent through via TicketSource in advance of the event;
- Regrettably, we are unable to invite spectators to Sports Day at London Road nor the Bumps races on the school side of the river;
- The morning of Saturday 3rd July will see staggered departures at the following times:
Third Form 9.30-10am
Fourth Form 10-10.30am
Fifth Form 10.30-11am
Lower Sixth 11-11.30am
- Parents of U6th and Prize-Winners should arrive at 12 noon to be seated in the marquee at 12.15pm for a 12.30pm start. Attendees will be requested to enter the venue through one of four entryways (designated by surname groupings). Seating is distanced and the facility will be appropriately ventilated alongside other control measures and mitigations.
- Non-U6th Prize-winners and their parents will depart following Prize-Giving with the afternoon events focused on our U6th Leavers.